I’ve just seen a post in a private Facebook Group asking if it would be okay to put out COVID-19 workouts with 19 reps for exercise. The resounding answer was NO.
We are treading a fine line on social media aren’t we? And we can get anxious about what we should be posting. Should we even mention Coronavirus and should we still be selling?
Here’s my two-pennies worth.
Every time I see people trying to profit from the situation it makes me angry. Funding Circle have an ad going out right now saying they are still in business and offering loans to people but from the thread people who’ve already taken out loans with them are angry that they are not giving payment holidays. In my opinion they are profiteering and I think it will come back to bite them on the ass because we are all watching.
Equally I have unsubscribed from some people I did respect in the industry, because they are blindly still promoting their latest launch without any mention of the current situation. I’ve also seen people try to grow their email list by offering ‘free’ information or webinars and people trying to charge to show people how to take their business online. ‘Just show them you douchebag’ is my response.
And let’s not even mention all the inappropriate scheduled posts that have been going out all week. I’m sure I’m not alone in seeing all of the above.
So as you can see, what we are seeing daily on our feed is having an impact. A very real impact. There are companies I will never buy from again because of the way they’ve handled this situation or treated their clients or employees. And I’m sure I’m not alone.
So what can we do? What should we do? What should we be posting on social media.
1. First of all, damage limitation. You should take down any scheduled posts that are inappropriate at this time.
2. Be there for your audience, even if you close your business. Your audience will still be there when you come back and you are ready to start again.
3. Educate and help your audience with your expertise, share videos, go live, you may need to show up daily right now to lead them or guide them.
4. Don’t ignore the Coronavirus, you need to show solidarity with your audience and that we are all in this together. Not talking about it and carrying on as normal is just as bad as it consuming your feed. Balance is required. Share articles from responsible sources like World Health Organisation, Public Health England and the NHS. Don’t spread tabloid sensationalism or pseudo expert articles/videos.
5. Show your personal life too and how the current situation is affecting you and your family. These can be serious or fun posts depending on what is happening. And again, there will be light-hearted moments in every day, it’s important to share those too. Maybe you can show us going about your normal business or what you’re up to if you’re in quarentine.
6. There is nothing wrong with selling your services and products at this time BUT you may need to phrase things differently. Now is not the time to use strong arm tactics or scaremongering to sell and if you do then you’re a douchebag. Look at the language you use. You still have a valuable service to offer and there are people who need your services. Talk about inviting people to join rather than ‘buy my stuff.’ For many of you, you will be offering online services right now and that’s GREAT it’s an amazing service that people all over the world need. Let them know what you have and you could create a whole new arm to your business. I know there’s a couple of people I’ve been following for a while now and they didn’t do online programs, now they’re offering them.
7. Community is more important than ever so maybe you could think about setting up a group on Facebook or WhatsApp, maybe you already have them. It’s important that you show up for your community, even if you feel like hiding away. We all need to be there for each other. Go live in your groups, give them additional content, if you normally meet in the real world try meeting on Zoom instead. Even all having lunch together can be reassuring or sharing a coffee or a chat, an open discussion or even a mastermind with your business friends. I’m doing a Mastermind tomorrow afternoon with some of the Dreamies. Everyone brings one problem to the table and we go around finding solutions.
8. Get inspirational with your posts and lead. Share positive memes, write blogs that are informative or entertaining, maybe now is a good time to create a video series on IGTV, show us behind the scenes on IG Stories or dance it out on Tik Tok. I think the most important thing here is to show up as YOU, and what’s going on in your world, good and bad. You can’t have light without shade. And to offer as much help and advice as you can right now.
9. Most of you who read my blogs are working in the fitness, health and wellness zone and so your message to the world is more important than ever. Talk about how we can take care of ourselves, how to keep healthy in mind and body. For you that might be sharing tapping techniques or anti-oxident smoothie recipes. Maybe you take us with you on your walk and we can walk with you, you can share breathing techniques or just a general chat as we go. Many of you work from home, how about a top 10 list of things to do and not to do for all of those newbies who are usually in the office.
10. And finally, when it comes to social media I would say limit how much you use it yourself as we can get dragged down the rabbit hole more than normal at the moment. Maybe set a time in your calendar to check in 4 or 5 times a day. Easier said than done I know.
Okay that’s it from me today. I hope you are all doing okay. I know a lot of you have taken the scary option of going online with your businesses but from what I see, you’re doing well with that!! And a lot of clients you never thought would go online have taken that leap of faith with you which is awesome.If you don’t know how to go online and do lives or you don’t know how to set up Learning Units inside a Facebook Group where you can create a totally free membership site with weekly modules then head over to my Facebook Page and watch the video I did yesterday showing you how to set all that up.
I love to hear from you guys so please share your two pennies worth in the comments below.